Skip to main content

7 hours at Amsterdam!

 June 2018, it was. I was selected to be a part of Summer Course at University of Antwerp, Belgium. I was extremely proud of myself to represent India in an international level. I was excited , since I would be studying along with students of other countries, and receive first hand experience about their culture.

Though I have always lived in a small little corner of Jharkhand, I had that courage and excitement of exploring Europe. Flight tickets, train tickets, hostels everything was arranged by the University. Passports, Visas and other paper work was done.

And then I left to Delhi from Ranchi and then after a six hour journey, I reached Schiphol Airport.

So, this was my first landing at Amsterdam. I followed the other passengers and led myself to the exit gate. Since, I had sufficient time before boarding my train, I planned to explore the happening city of Netherlands (Inspired from the Bollywood movie, Queen). Oh My God! Such a beautiful city, clean water, so many beautiful bridges, clear sky, cheese shops and casinos.



Since I am vegetarian, I preferred walking down to McDonald's and grab a veg burger. And guess what, I had a smart phone with no internet connection in it. So, those 15 days that I stayed in Europe, I was totally dependent on the open connection of Wi-Fi.

You may call me crazy, since I should have put my international data roaming pack on, but I didn't!!! (Knowingly, unknowingly I didn't think of doing it)

After reaching McDonald's which just down the straight street from the airport, I found they do not have any variety of Veg Burger. Never mind, I did grab a regular packet of French Fries with McFloat. (P.N.: Vegetarians, do carry sufficient amount of packed snacks with you)

Next I saw a banner of sale, and I entered the shop and checked out some winter stuffs, while checking out the label, I found Made in India. I purchased one sweatshirt since I was feeling cold and most importantly, it was on discount. Up next, I thought to visit Madam Tussauds at Dam Square, but it was closed. Hard Luck!

Up next, I thought coming to Amsterdam and not have a boat ride is not worth it. I spent few bucks, took a seat on the boat, and explored the beautiful solid color boat houses with small vases of flowers in it, beautiful inscriptions on bridges. Every bridge had its own story. Story behind houses, story behind restaurant and a lot more, I think if I would have not taken the boat ride, I would have missed so much about Amsterdam.

After getting of from the boat, I went to the cheese store, tasted a few of them, purchased few of my favorites and headed back to station to board my train to another country, Belgium. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life at Gunj!

  I was two when I was brought to Mccluskiegunj by my parents. Born in West Bengal , the culture of Jharkhand was entirely different for me. With passing time and me growing, this place created a special place in my heart. The serenity, the calmness, the cold breeze, misty mornings made it a little hill station. Every winter, I used to meet tourists who visited Mccluskiegunj . Bengali speaking tourists used to fill my heart with immense joy and I used to wait for this part of the year, when they use to share their experiences at Gunj . Let me introduce you to the real Mccluskiegunj . It is a small hillstation situated  70 kilometres from Ranchi , the state capital of Jharkhand. This place is well connected with roadways and railways. Mccluskiegunj has received its name from the founder of this place, Mr. E. T. Mccluskie ; an Anglo-Indian who came from Calcutta. Let me inform you with the fact, that Mccluskiegunj is the only village with Anglo Indians residing in it, though th...

My first day at Antwerp, Belgium.

  Before boarding my flight, from Birsa Munda Airport ; I did quite an extensive research upon Antwerp. Historical places, stories behind them, best chocolatiers, best ice-cream parlors and many more. Amsterdam was fun but coming to Antwerp was the main agenda, since I was a part of the summer school course at University of Antwerp. I had one day at hand to explore Antwerp, since my classes were scheduled from the next day. Early morning, I went to the nearest big Mart, picked multigrain -bread, croissant , cherry tomato and hummus dips. I picked a regular cup of coffee went to the Antwerp Station, fetched a map in French and Dutch (Oh Gosh! Maps in English were out of stock). The person standing next to the Ticket vending machine asked me to go the board next to the exit gate, and click a photo of the map printed on the board. I genuinely wanted to hug him, he made my plans execute so easy. Since Antwerp is a small city, finding my way towards Antwerp Zoo was not difficult. Be...

A short and sudden trip to Paris!

The weekend was about to start and I had another two days to explore. For the first day, I thought of visiting Antwerp and for the second day, I was a little confused between visiting Amsterdam again or visiting some other city. I decided to explore Paris- City of Love. Late evening I decided to board a Euro-Bus, take a six hour journey and reach Paris. As planned, I reached Paris around 1am in the night, and guess what I had no hotel bookings done, and as I said I had no international internet connectivity on my smart phone. Found a hotel near to the bus station, but  they were full. The main agenda of visiting Paris was to visit one of the seven wonders of the world- Eiffel Tower. So, I decided to walk down the street and reach to the Eiffel. On my way, I bought some souvenirs and found out that the shop owner  hailed from Pakistan. He directed me to board the bus number 7, the last bus to Eiffel Tower. Back in my mind, I thought I have so much time, why not walk and find my...